Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Elder Jonathan Engle 01/06/2014

The Saga Continues...

 

Dear People of Earth,
I finally made a contact group for weekly emails. I simply added people I've messaged in the past. Let me know if you'd prefer to not receive these emails and that's totally fine.
I'm leaving the good ol' El Paso 8th ward and being transferred somewhere North. No, it's not South down to Brazil, and that's just fine! "I'll go where you want me to go, Dear Lord."
This week I'd like to emphasize the power and importance of Fasting. This previous Fast Sunday, with how our 12:30pm church worked out, I fasted more like 28 hours. It was absolutely wonderful. in the past when I've had really good Fasts, I'm usually understandably exhausted, but this entire Fast I didn't have any thought for food or drink. Instead, I had an incredible church meeting. From our Ward, Sister Van Wagoner and I are heading off North, so we bore our testimonies before everyone else. I felt guided to communicate everything I wanted to in a concise amount of time. I couldn't help but feel love for everyone I saw. It was a special meeting to say the least.
Afterwards, a member of our ward has been very sick. He's been reading The Book of Mormon like a duck takes to water. He finished The Book of Mormon probably two weeks ago, and he's already read up almost through Mosiah again! Elder Gawrych and I gave him a blessing. As I sealed, I felt prompted to promise him that he'd be able to quit smoking and that they would taste disgusting to him. His desire he expressed to quit that night was fulfilled in that blessing with that promise from God.
In the October 2007 General Conference, Elder Wirthlin stated the following: "Love is the greatest of all the commandments—all others hang upon it. It is our focus as followers of the living Christ. It is the one trait that, if developed, will most improve our lives."
I bear testimony that love truly is the answer to so many of our questions. It is the root of our righteous desires and the hunger of our souls. We desire to be loved and to love. Through the Restored Gospel, both of these righteous desires are fulfilled. May love fill your hearts as we look forward to a new year of devotion, love, and service to our Father in Heaven.
Love,
Elder Engle
P.S. In the picture is Tristan Stewart. He's the best member missionary ever! He and his dad joined us for splits a few times. As you can see, Tristan wins the best dressed award. He's only four, yet every time we're driving with him, he always sang "I Hope They Call Me On a Mission." About a month ago, a member gave him an Iron Man action figure, because that's his favorite. He always walks around making shooting sounds, rocket boot sounds, etc. While we were driving home, him playing with his new action figure, he popped the head off of Iron Man. He started crying saying, "I killed him! I killed Iron Man!" Sister Stewart put the head back on and he was instantly fine. Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment